ZABRISKIE GALLERY

 
 

In 1954, Virginia Marshall Zabriskie paid one dollar to assume the lease of a small gallery space on the second floor of 835 Madison Avenue established by Marvin Korman, a fellow graduate student at the Institute of Fine Arts at New York University. Aided by a $1,000 inheritance from her grandmother, she began Zabriskie Gallery, showing several young artists including Pat Adams, Clinton Hill, and Lester Johnson. During its first year, the business grossed $6,000. In 1966, the gallery relocated to 699 Madison Avenue, and after five years to 29 West 57th Street. By the early eighties, Zabriskie Gallery had expanded into three spaces, two in New York, and one in Paris. The space at 724 Fifth Avenue specialized in painting, while sculpture was highlighted at the 521 West 57th Street location. In addition to featuring contemporary and modernist American painters, Zabriskie exhibited the sculpture of Mary Frank, Saul Baizerman, George Rickey, Kenneth Snelson, Theodore Roszak, and Richard Stankiewicz.

In 1954, Virginia Marshall Zabriskie paid one dollar to assume the lease of a small gallery space on the second floor of 835 Madison Avenue established by Marvin Korman, a fellow graduate student at the Institute of Fine Arts at New York University. Aided by a $1,000 inheritance from her grandmother, she began Zabriskie Gallery, showing several young artists including Pat Adams, Clinton Hill, and Lester Johnson. During its first year, the business grossed $6,000. In 1966, the gallery relocated to 699 Madison Avenue, and after five years to 29 West 57th Street. By the early eighties, Zabriskie Gallery had expanded into three spaces, two in New York, and one in Paris. The space at 724 Fifth Avenue specialized in painting, while sculpture was highlighted at the 521 West 57th Street location. In addition to featuring contemporary and modernist American painters, Zabriskie exhibited the sculpture of Mary Frank, Saul Baizerman, George Rickey, Kenneth Snelson, Theodore Roszak, and Richard Stankiewicz.

 

In 1977, Galerie Zabriskie opened in Paris at 29 rue Aubry le Boucher. It was the first gallery of its kind, joining an exhibition space for photographic works with a bookstore devoted to selling photo-related literature. Virginia  Zabriskie not only presented individual American and French photographers, but also organized numerous landmark group shows. She was a pioneering champion of 19th-century artists such as Felice Beato, Edouard Baldus, and Eadweard Muybridge, and held the first public exhibition in France of Eugene Atget's photographs of Paris. Through this trans-Atlantic exchange, Zabriskie introduced many modern and contemporary European photographers to America, and brought American photography to Europe, creating a wider audience for Harry Callahan, Alfred Stieglitz, Weegee, Paul Strand, Lee Friedlander, Walker Evans, Brassai, Man Ray, Charles Sheeler, Ralph Eugene Meatyard, Berenice Abbott, Diane Arbus, Claude Cahun, Aaron Siskind, Richard Pousette-Dart,  Robert Frank, and Nicholas Nixon. Her international roster also included Constantin Brancusi, Joan Fontcuberta, Ben Vautier, Patrick Tosini, and Jorge Ribalta. Via Zabriskie Editions, the gallery published over twenty posters of photographic work by Ansel Adams, Eugene Atget, Harry Callahan, Paul Strand, and others.

 

The Paris space closed in 1998 with Au Revoir Paris, a group show highlighting all the American photographers whose first European exposure came at Galerie Zabriskie. For her cultural contributions, Virginia Zabriskie received the Médaille de la Ville de Paris in 1999, presented at the Hotel de Ville in Paris. The International Association of Art Critics (AICA) recognized Zabriskie Gallery with a Second Place award for "Best Show at an Art Gallery" in 1998 for The Hansa Gallery, and a Third Place award in the same category in 1995 for the exhibit Man Ray: Conspiratorial Laughter.

 

Virginia Zabriskie closed her last public exhibition space, in the Fuller Building, in December 2010. Today Virginia Zabriskie  works as a private Art Dealer. 

About the Gallery

Powered by Website.com